A couple of years ago I found out a sister of mine was pregnant via a random post on Facebook.

A couple of years ago I found out a sister of mine was pregnant via a random post on Facebook. It wasn't even her post, it was a friend of hers posting on her wall. 

I was annoyed and a little pissed that I, her brother, didn't even get the courtesy of a phone call.

I found out my other sister's wedding was a week before I got to Florida last December. I was not invited because that sister is a bitch. She hates me for no reason whatsoever than because her mother (my stepmom) doesn't like me.

Yesterday I learned, on Facebook again, that my younger (but not youngest) brother, is now engaged to his girlfriend of more than 10 years. 

Here's how it went down:

Him -- Thanks for all the well wishes on the enagement, it will be in Vegas in Feb of 2013

Me -- There's an engagement?

Him -- Yes there is.

Me --  Who? What? When? Where?

Him -- You seem a bit confused by the whole process. There was a question, there was an answer and now there isa plan to get married next Feb in Vegas.

Me --  Or, perhaps being your brother I expected a call. There is no confusion because I have no information to be confused by.

This is the same brother who admitted he comes to Colorado once a month or so and never calls me. He's "busy" and doesn't have the time. As though I can't rearrange my schedule to meet his time constraints.

Anywho, this is why I don't get along with my family and I avoid Florida and them as much as possible.

Comments

Logan Cate said…
That's one hell of a public post.
Family dramas indeed.  I must say that the first sentence sounded as if a public post on FB made her pregnant.  Not to laugh but the wording sounded that way.

It doesn't sound like getting family news on FB is working out well so I'd suggest getting the fsck off and if they want to comm they can find you here or wherever else the family news isn't broadcast to the world.  oh, wait....
Esspy Arrow said…
That stinks! I am sorry that you have that to deal with.
Jason ON said…
If it weren't for FB I'd never hear anything about my family.
Angela Estrada said…
Sorry :(  I know how you feel..The same things happen with me and my family...I just stay away for the most part.
Jason ON said…
Oh, and all I did was copy and paste the exchange cutting out other people's comments.
Logan Cate said…
Don Vikingisson Schupp That's how I read it as well. Hilarious.
Jason ON said…
Angela Estrada, I'm ready to stop being nice and just tell them all to f off. Everytime I'm in Florida I make the time to visit everyone. This past time I was there I used it as an experiment and didn't go to see anyone instead waiting to see who would call me and say, hey let's grab lunch or a drink or anything.

One sibling, my youngest sister called, but she admitted she just wanted to show off her son whom I'd never met.

My other sister didn't want to show off her husband, my brothers in Tampa didn't call or make the 2 hour drive to see me in the 3 months I was there. My dad saw me twice by accident.
Join the club Jason ON we have jackets ;)

Family and communication..... It is what it is. While it can be frustrating at times, it is family and it is dysfunctional at best.
one word, email.
My family doesn't do drama on FB just like they didn't in real life, they were never demonstrative.  But FB was boring and scary when I ran into high school "friends".  So I'm gone and family that wants to talk will email.  Otherwise I don't care what goes on in FB land.  Dysfunctional doings never get better on a social network, they get worse.
who me Whitney Greisinger ?  If so then I don't think so.  I've always been the Gypsy Viking so anything I do is of little surprise or concern.  Mom will brag about eccentric things and places I've done but FB isn't about family dramas for them.  I don't know what it is but it has little to no value for me.
Jason ON said…
Don Vikingisson Schupp, you missed the point. It's not about FB, per se, it's that my family doesn't communicate anything with me. It doesn't matter the medium.

Whitney Greisinger, it has more to do with the fact that I'm the black sheep. I don't drink everyday, I don't worship football, or even watch it, I don't want to sit around with beer in hand and "shoot the shit," I want to get out and do new things, go to new places and explore the world.

Plus they all think I'm a loser since I'm unemployed.
I didn't miss the point but my point is if FB isn't bridging the gap then why bother?  it's a wasteland of mediocrity that won't bring together what's not already working.

But I hear you.  I've been looking for work for longer than I can remember which makes my yuppy sister not want to speak to me.  I get it.  I'm angry.  So I left all the places that make it worse.
Jason ON said…
Well, when we were all younger we had to be around each other. But yeah, it started the day I left. My brother (the newly engaged one) would call once in while when he got a promotion or a raise just to brag, but that was about it. My sisters were 7 and 9 when I left for the military so they essentially grew up without me. My stepmom never liked me, but that's okay, she's a bitch.
Theresa Reel said…
When we were younger, we HAD to be around .... pretty much EXACTLY how I started the conversation with an elderly aunt.  She was surprised that I did not keep up with people LOL

THEN she went on to explain that she is proud of me for not investing my life into people that really (hmm how to make this nice in public) didn't matter.
Gem F said…
Most of the stories you share make me sorry that you know your family. Maybe it's time to redirect your energy into more enriching relationships.
Andrew Maxwell said…
That's ok, I don't talk to half of my family. My mother is an idea and made bad decisions and my baby sister looks up to my mom (enough said)

Popular posts from this blog

So, I asked Andrew Tamm, who filled my Stream with a hundred (sarcasm there) animated gifs and cat pictures to...

I'm shutting down Google+ for the night and quite possibly for the weekend.