Seriously, what does a tablet do that my netbook doesn't? #nexus7

Comments

Matt Krais said…
Form factor. Some people like the feel of a tablet better than a netbook or laptop for their portable experience :-)
Julie Murray said…
It doesn't open up to function
Jonathon Barton said…
Fit in your jeans pocket.
Jason ON said…
I don't know what you mean, Julie Murray. 

Point to Jonathon Barton, but the iPads don't fit your pocket, either. Neither do the Galaxy 10" Tabs.
Jason Suss said…
Runs jelly bean. Badass voice recognition
Julie Murray said…
Im with you, jonathan. As long as they keep making "new" things everyone will want them. Even if they dont do anything different the "old" thing.
Matt Krais said…
Brandon Hartung Again, it is about form factor. The tablet has been around for awhile now, but Apple made it streamline with its iPad, and now Google and other companies are making improvements in hardware and software. 

Tablets are just another platform for a portable device that people enjoy using. The thing with the iPad and now the Nexus 7, you can easily replace a netbook or laptop (to a certain extent) with them. I think tablets serve a purpose in the ecosystem of technology, and it's one more step further into giving us that "all in one device."
I'm still waiting for my point.

Not to mention you get $25 for free for play store.
Jason ON said…
I have an Asus netbook.
Manny Brum said…
Jason ON I have an Asus Transformer 300T so it can be either a tablet or a netbook :)  Portable devices are a heck of a lot faster with a mobile OS. Most netbooks have too little system resources for a desktop OS, and those that have enough are priced higher than regular notebook PCs. The tablet, however, is a lot quicker to boot, a lot more versatile for media and web and I can dock it to the keyboard when I want and it even works with my logitech wireless mouse.
Jason ON said…
Oh, and I'm just wondering. I've held off buying a tablet for two reasons: (1) price and (2) need. Prices have come down but the need is still wanting. 

I have a laptop, a netbook and an Android phone. I don't see how I would need a tablet.
Matt Krais said…
That is perfectly fine, but others prefer the form factor of a tablet more :)
Manny Brum said…
Jason ON Netbooks have lost popularity because of tablets. The tablet would replace the netbook, essentially. Usually, I use my tablet when I'm home and my phone when I'm not. The PC only comes out when I'm gaming. Consider getting an Asus Transformer and keyboard dock. It's nice to be able to shed the keyboard when you don't need it.
Manny Brum said…
Jason ON If you're running some kind of virtual machine for Android you're still being bogged down by all the superfluous desktop OS and other junk. It's nice to be able to boot up in under ten seconds and shut down in two.
Tim Bond said…
Multi-touch tablets are good for reading books, playing some games, drawing directly on an image, and zooming in on images or text quickly/easily. As a grad student, a tablet means I can carry many articles and books in a single device that is easy to pull out on the train and read with quickly and comfortably.

As with any device, I don't think a tablet is for everyone nor do I think any tablet can do everything as well as a laptop can. The form factor and interface do make some things easier or possible.
Esspy Arrow said…
Nothing. I wish I had gotten a new netbook or laptop instead of this expensive tablet.
Manny Brum said…
robin vabolis Why? The only thing I need a laptop for these days is (traditional) gaming.
Esspy Arrow said…
I often have to monkey with code, for one reason or another, and it is just not practical for that. Or writing. Or anything else I do regularly. It is a social network machine, more or less, for me.
Manny Brum said…
robin vabolis Yeah, that's one of the reasons I chose the Transformer. Pop it onto the keyboard dock and it becomes a netbook. It's also fully compatible with mice while in the dock.
Matt DelMastro said…
Run a modern Mobile OS out of the box.

Netbooks should be completely replaced by the Asus Transformer type dockable tablets.
Tim Bond said…
It will be a while before I imagine replacing a full computer with a tablet. When i'm writing a paper for class, for instance, being able to have multiple browser tabs and word documents open with instant switching available is often necessary. Sure I can type/edit on a tablet, but I've yet to see apps, etc., that make any tablet quite as functional as a good laptop or desktop.
Tim Bond said…
Yes, good point. A full OS should be the way to go. I use my NetBook as a CPU hooked up to a full sized monitor, keyboard and mouse, so I can see a Windows tablet serving the same purpose and being even more handy on the go than the NetBook is.
Manny Brum said…
Tim Bond Multiple tabs and switching between apps has been possible for some time on Android. Rumor has it that the next version of MS Office will also support iOS and Android.

Popular posts from this blog

So, I asked Andrew Tamm, who filled my Stream with a hundred (sarcasm there) animated gifs and cat pictures to...

I'm shutting down Google+ for the night and quite possibly for the weekend.