I was called a racist by a person here on Google+ because I said a stereotype wasn't racist.

I was called a racist by a person here on Google+ because I said a stereotype wasn't racist. She posted an image of a old cartoon style box trap with a watermelon as bait that was titled something along the lines of  "how to catch the president."

Yes, I said, it was a negative association designed to reinforce the (false) stereotype of black Americans and watermelons, but it wasn't racist.

She blocked me even after I provided academic sources on racism, stereotypes and the false association of the stereotype.

Racism is holding a belief that one race is superior to others or another for  no reason other than the race itself.

Regardless of whether you agree with me or not, what Paula Deen said is incredibly racist. She believes the time when black Americans were subservient to white Americans is a time we should all try to emulate.

She should lose her job with the Food Network and lose any and all corporate sponsorships. Free speech is a value we all hold as paramount to an open society, but there are consequences to that freedom and an example needs to be made to others than these beliefs aren't an American idea.

Originally shared by ****

Ain't enough buttah to grease her way outta this one, Y'AWWLLLLL...
http://www.thesuperficial.com/paula-deen-racist-deposition-lawsuit-06-2013

Comments

Brenda Curtis said…
The source for this is the National Enquirer.
Jason ON said…
Is it? Was I duped? I also saw it on the The Huffington Post . damn.
Brenda Curtis said…
Different sources are reporting according to they specific slant. The more sensationalist source the more OmG Racist! Context is key. She was asked if she had ever used the word. She said yes and explained that what was considered okay in Georgia years ago isn't okay now and she does not condone use of the word in a disparaging manner. She admitted to using the word when describing being at a bank during an armed robbery in the 80's.
As far as I know she has never used the word publicly or at her workplace.
Brenda Curtis said…
They cancelled her contract. Not for loss of views but PC pressure. Totally absurd. Nice reward for openness and honestly.

Popular posts from this blog

So, I asked Andrew Tamm, who filled my Stream with a hundred (sarcasm there) animated gifs and cat pictures to...

I'm shutting down Google+ for the night and quite possibly for the weekend.