"Overall, this research suggests that although less religious people tend to be less trusted in the U.

"Overall, this research suggests that although less religious people tend to be less trusted in the U.S., when feeling compassionate, they may actually be more inclined to help their fellow citizens than more religious people," Willer said.

That's the last bit of this article. 

 What do you think? Are theists more inclined to imitate compassion in an effort to perform as expected or 'keep up appearances' rather than through true compassion?

And if so, does following the doctrine mean salvation at the end, when the real catalyst for the action isn't compassion but rather fear or pride?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/01/religious-compassion-atheists-agnostics_n_1468006.html

Comments

Larry Maxwell said…
I help people because it is good and not because I am trying to bribe my way into an afterlife.
Jason ON said…
What do you mean, Eli Fennell?
Certainly not true of most of the ones on here...
Jason ON said…
What's not true of most of who?
Unfortunately there are some real hateful atheist types on G+ the kind that reinforce the negative stereotypes.
Darryl Wright said…
I don't buy the evil atheist stereotype. The fact that people think atheists are mean or combative has more to do with the sensitivities of those doing the judging than any kind of deliberate nastiness. Example: Someone posted an open question or criticism based on a misconception about atheism. I politely and tactfully identified myself as atheist and corrected the misconception. I was immediately pounced on for 'proselytizing' atheism and asked why I couldn't just leave them in peace etc. Sometimes people misinterpret dialog as hostility.
Jason ON said…
There are some militant atheists here on the Plus, I won't deny that, but all in all most atheists are just out there to inform people of where religion is wrong.

Popular posts from this blog

So, I asked Andrew Tamm, who filled my Stream with a hundred (sarcasm there) animated gifs and cat pictures to...

I'm shutting down Google+ for the night and quite possibly for the weekend.