The Business of Culture

Quirkiest Cultural Practices From Around The World - Forbes.com

Having lived abroad, I know first hand about working other cultures. Although I have never been to the Middle- or Far- East I have been to 12 countries and lived in two.

For me, learning foreign cultures is exciting and it always helps to have a friendly face who will explain to you the meaning of certain rituals. For example, as the article states, giving a gift in the middle east is something to be done at the end of the meeting. Sure, you might not know that offhand, but it's nice if someone explains it's to avoid appearing to bribe your potential business partner or some other cultural specific _faux pas_.

It shocked me to observe that many Americans refuse to learn their host country's customs, expecting them to adhere to American ways. In college I took a Multicultural Business class and was again shocked to learn how common it was for Americans, or people from any culture, to fight their host culture.

But I guess I'm more accepting and adaptable than a lot of people.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So, I asked Andrew Tamm, who filled my Stream with a hundred (sarcasm there) animated gifs and cat pictures to...

I'm shutting down Google+ for the night and quite possibly for the weekend.