I was just out taking the dogs for their evening walk when we ran across a neighbor also out taking his dog for a...

I was just out taking the dogs for their evening walk when we ran across a neighbor also out taking his dog for a walk. James (the neighbor, if you didn't pick up on that) is a nice enough guy who moved into the neighborhood around December first. We've spoken a few times and the dogs get along great. His dog (who's name I can never remember) is three, very friendly and just wants to play.

So, when I saw him this evening I invited him to walk along with us and he took me up on the offer. As we're walking and talking he brings up his work again. He's an independent general contractor, usually subbing out from larger GCs. Every time he's brought it up, which is every time we speak, he starts blaming illegal Mexicans for his lowers rates; usually some variation of, "Damn contractors keep hiring the illegals so they can drive their rates down and not pay me a real rate."

Naturally, he brought it up again today, then went off on the GC company he's been working for, making all sorts of claims.

Okay, whatever. He needs to let off some steam.

Then we pass a van that both of us acknowledge as having never seen in the neighborhood before. On the back panel of the van are numerous bumper stickers with phrases like "Don't call it your country if you're not willing to go to war for it," "Guns, God and [something] created this country," "Only a wall will save our economy."

Okay, some of those are paraphrased. Maybe I'll go back out there and get a photo of it in a bit.

Regardless, the owner of the van is obviously a Trump supporter. So, naturally, I said something like, "Wow, this guy (the van owner) is a wackado." My neighbor, James, responded with, "I don't think so," then went on a tirade about how #DonaldTrump is the savior of this nation, how he's already stopped World War III from happening and how he's going to fix the economy by building the wall and kicking out the "illegals" that are (presumably) keeping him from demanding more pay. He continued with statements about how it's the Democrats who are hiring the illegals to clean their houses and keep their lawns and that's why we have illegal immigration. He tried to claim MS-13 was a Mexican gang filled with illegal Mexicans, but I put a quick stop to that. MS13 is comprised of South Americans, not Mexicans.

I kept trying to counter with facts, but he just brushed them off, telling me I've been brainwashed by propaganda (ie: mainstream media). I assured him I'm not. While I'm not as current on my political research as I used to be, I am still fairly well read. As a guy with a political science degree I know things aren't always as they appear and many times the reasons policy decisions are made aren't necessarily as simple as the average person would like to believe.

I told him to stop listening to Alex Jones and reading Breitbart because he's sounding just like those conspiracy theorists. He retorted with "I don't read Breitbart, I watch it." As if that makes a difference.

It went on from there. Not long, just a few more minutes, but he was obviously getting angry. He kept telling me I was blinded by propaganda. "Propaganda!" he kept yelling at me. He was just like all those other alternative-facts believers: if it didn't come from his sources it was obviously propaganda and the majority of Americans who get their news from mainstream media are all brainwashed.

Needless to say, I don't think we're going to be walking the dogs together anymore.

Comments

Bill Brayman said…
I can relate. Had a similar conversation with a neighbor. Come to think of it, that 10 minute conversation was a sort of epiphany for me, realizing there is a huge gap in beliefs all around me, some people seem so puzzlingly irrational to each other. Weird. Post factual world it is becoming known as.
Mike G said…
Your neighbor seems to be living in fear, and maybe can't think for himself.

If he could, he might blame corporations for gutting the middle-class (for profit), and leaving them with no alternative other than to spend their few discretionary dollars on the cheapest option available.
ted kelly said…
Jason ON Is it just me or does that look like every van in every episode of "Criminal Minds" ?
Jason ON said…
ted kelly I don't know, I haven't seen every episode. ;)
Gord Wait said…
What I don't understand (or maybe don't want to understand) is why the typical Trump voter is so gullible. Trump's own words show that Trump is an insecure pathological liar; it's hard to imagine being so ignorant as to fall for Trump's continuous stream of bullshit..
ted kelly said…
Oooh ~ Oooh !!! Can I take this one ???

Keeping in mind that they are not a monolithic group and they are all special in their own special way:

My dad told me that you can't con an honest man.

In other words, they see him as an idealized version of themselves.

(my 2 cents worth of IMHO)
Jason ON said…
ted kelly I know there is something to that in why some voters vote against their own interests, but voters in #TrumpNation seem to take that idea and run with it to the tenth power.
ted kelly said…
Why, I do believe you are right.
I also think that given the chance - most of them would try hard to be much worse that he has been.
I saw that story going a totally different way. Maybe he was spouting fake news as well ... sigh. People need to wake up and realize trump is sending us back In time decades.

Popular posts from this blog

So, I asked Andrew Tamm, who filled my Stream with a hundred (sarcasm there) animated gifs and cat pictures to...

I'm shutting down Google+ for the night and quite possibly for the weekend.