So, for my birthday this year I received this Lyve Home Studio (2TB) thing.

So, for my birthday this year I received this Lyve Home Studio (2TB) thing. I am not, nor have I been, a huge fan of it, especially with all the "free" storage options out there, but it was a gift, so I put it to use.

The desktop app is okay if ugly, but the Android app is incredibly horribly executed. I think I gave it a 1-star review.

Annoyed that I can't select which folders on my phone to sync I went to the Help section of the app to see if such an action is even possible, but instead I'm taken straight to the link below.

Gah!

Yes, Seagate (who purchases Lyve) is sending current subscribers a 2TB HDD, but I was trying to find a way to 'hack' the existing device to continue using it as a network storage device after 2016.

A cursory look over the internet doesn't show me if anyone's successfully hacked the Lyve Home Studio. Has anyone heard of such a thing?
http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/007778en?language=en-gb

Comments

I've done some Googling on my phone, and can't really find anything about repurposing it.
Jason ON said…
Me neither. Thanks for looking, Andrew Jones-McGuire​.
Jason ON I had hoped that something like OpenMediaVault could be loaded onto it
Jason ON said…
Yeah, that's the kind of thing I'm looking for. How to hack this $200 media server into something useable after they discontinue their services.
Jason ON​ yet more evidence that this idea of having products that rely on an internet connection and cloud computing to perform their stated purpose is never going to end well 😐 I have an eStarling wifi photo frame that fell victim to loss of cloud.....
Rob Hau said…
I did a little research and took it apart. I popped the hard drive into and enclosure and it shows up with no partition. I'm guessing it's using a raw file system. I wonder if I hook up a keyboard and mouse to it while it's booting if i can get anywhere.

Popular posts from this blog

So, I asked Andrew Tamm, who filled my Stream with a hundred (sarcasm there) animated gifs and cat pictures to...

I'm shutting down Google+ for the night and quite possibly for the weekend.