I vaguely recall an update to Google's ToS wherein I was asked to opt-in to new ad tracking and I, let's say,...

I vaguely recall an update to Google's ToS wherein I was asked to opt-in to new ad tracking and I, let's say, politely declined. That's how Google gets us, though. Most of the world is carrying an Android phone and 100% of Android devices have a Gmail account attached to them. Google's become very good at restricting features or services such as Now, Maps features, search features and more, for those who choose not to give Mountain View more access to data.

Go ahead, try turning off GPS and Android will tell you some features won't be available. Try turning off tracking and suddenly Google Now is useless. Heck, even the new Pixel requires you to use their new AI assistant - another tool to gather more information about you.

Sometimes it makes you want to go back a decade to the good old days of Nokia and Blackberry devices that made phone calls, sent SMSes and occasionally responded to emails.

Here's the ironic part: if a government agency wanted what people willingly, or unknowingly, give up to companies like Google and Facebook, they would need a search warrant. If they took it anyway it's a scandal. But hey, if it means finding s local coffee shop easier, here, take it.
https://www.propublica.org/article/google-has-quietly-dropped-ban-on-personally-identifiable-web-tracking

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So, I asked Andrew Tamm, who filled my Stream with a hundred (sarcasm there) animated gifs and cat pictures to...

I'm shutting down Google+ for the night and quite possibly for the weekend.