In case you were unaware, I am an atheist.

In case you were unaware, I am an atheist. I know no such things that we might call gods exist. This is true and irrefutable.

From time to time I've had my own arguments with other atheists. Many of them think being an atheist means being antireligious. This is not true. A religion is a system of beliefs held by multiple people and does not require the presence of a god in order to exist.

Over the years I've called out other atheists for claiming such things as religions are inherently bad or nothing good comes from religions when, as many sociologists and psychologists will attest, those beliefs aren't true at all.

Religions can have a positive outcome for people. They can create a sense of community, a sense of welcome and be a psychological salve to many people, with or without being centered around a deity.

For those people looking for that sense of community but don't want to be sold a theology, try a Universal Unitarian church. Unless you're in the small town down south one should be available nearby.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/acts-of-faith/wp/2015/08/14/want-sustained-happiness-get-religion-study-suggests/

Comments

I've had more than enough experiences with typical organized religions, and after discovering a sense of Spirit all my own, I knew a normal church would give me the heebee jeebees... But I still went to a UU church with a couple close friends. Let me tell you - that was the least pushy and bossy group of people, and all were of a higher elevation that most other church-goers I knew.
"Sense of community without being sold a theology" is a perfect description.
Jason ON said…
Tell that to all those religions out they're without a deity, then.
Marilyn Gerber said…
OR look for a secular, humanist group. I go almost every sunday to Houston Oasis http://www.houstonoasis.org/ and there are more and more popping up all over the country. Our Sunday gatherings are like a house concert, TED Talk, and community talks with coffee breaks. We join together to do charity work and also other times just to socialize. We've even had David McAfee come speak.

Popular posts from this blog

So, I asked Andrew Tamm, who filled my Stream with a hundred (sarcasm there) animated gifs and cat pictures to...

I'm shutting down Google+ for the night and quite possibly for the weekend.