Stormdancer, a book review

"What's that? You say you've got a Japanese steampunk novel with mythic creatures, civil unrest, and a strong female protagonist? I'm afraid I missed everything you said after 'Japanese steampunk.' That's all I really needed to hear."

I have a library card. Yes, it's arcane in a world of digital books and eBook readers to visit the library, but I'm a fan of hand held books. Hand held books have a look and feel that eReaders just can't duplicate; they never run out of batteries and no one ever hung they Kindle or Nook on the wall so others could peruse their collection like one would a bookshelf. eReaders just aren't conversation pieces like a spread of magazines on a coffee table or book spines showing from every nook and cranny in your living room, study, office or wherever.

While at the library a couple of weeks ago returning some movies and a book I happened upon this book, Stormdancer. The cover is what first attracted me to the novel but the quote on the cover -- the blurb, if you will -- by Patrick Rothfuss is what made me check the book out and bring it home. (Actually, I needed something to take on a camping trip with me, but I forgot the book at home when I left.)
When I returned from camping I picked up the book and read the first page. Then the second. And then the third. You know how these things go.
I'd never read a Japanese themed fantasy adventure before nor have I ever read a steampunk novel. I know some might consider this next line heresy but I don't particularly care for steampunk as a genre. Sure there are some sexy steampunk outfits out there that the ladies are wearing, but as a genre I just can't get into the hype.
Stormdancer takes place in the empire of Shima, ruled by a tyrannical bully who is so self absorbed he can't see that he's killing his own kingdoms for the sake of personal pleasure. Shima is a land on the verge of ecological collapse as the smoke and byproduct of producing the fuel for their machines chokes the land, plant and animal life are dying out, the people are starving and the waterways are polluted beyond redress. The skies are red, not blue, the rain is acidic and humanity must wear goggles and breathers to avoid eye damage and lung cancer.  Our heroine, Yukiko, is the daughter of the emperor's huntsman and accompanies her father to bring back a creature believed extinct the emperor had a dream about one night: a Thunder Tiger. That's what's great about this book, since it's a Japanese-themed story, the gryphon is not half eagle/half lion, but rather half eagle/half tiger. Thunder Tigers are believed extinct by the people of Shima but like the sasquatch and the chupacabra of North America,  people spread rumors of sightings in the far away rural and wilderness areas.

What really surprised me was the depth of story and the fluidity on which the author writes. Everything flows nicely, the characters are rich and multifaceted. The culture of the island nation is very similar to modern industrialized countries as the move towards modernity comes at the cost of small farms, the environment, health and welfare of the people, the and peaceful relations with neighboring nations.

In the end, as our hero learns that there is a way of life outside that she's always known and as she becomes more cognizant of the evils in the world she's spent her life accepting, a Stormdancer is born. I can't wait to see what the next book in *The Lotus War* brings and how our characters react to the ending of this novel.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So, I asked Andrew Tamm, who filled my Stream with a hundred (sarcasm there) animated gifs and cat pictures to...

I'm shutting down Google+ for the night and quite possibly for the weekend.