Pulled the Trigger

Okay, so I pulled the trigger.  With all the hoopla about the Nexus S right now went and bought a G2 as a follow-up to my G1.

Why?

Well, the Nexus S doesn't have an SD card so no expansionability, nor does it come with HSPA+ which was a real big drawback to me going forward.  Both have the vanilla Android and the G2 can record HD video.  Plus, I like the design a little better.  A lot of modern smartphones are looking like iPhone clones and that really annoys me.

So, since TMo has a special right now for the G2:


I called TMo and asked to speak to the retention department (a little trick I was taught to get superior customer service in regards to new phones, etc) and spoke with a nice gentleman who told me I wouldn't be ready for an upgrade until January.  No biggie, I could wait.  He then said: "Heck, you're a good customer" and gave me the early-early upgrade.

Yay!

After all was said and done I hung-up completely satisfied.  But wait!  I think TMo still has my old address on file (since I don't get a paper bill).  I call back immediately, I'd guess less than 20 seconds after hanging up, and of course get a different retention person in a different office in a different state.  She did say it hasn't shipped yet but she could't change my address and told me I could just call UPS and pick it up at the warehouse.  Or... she could call tomorrow, after getting the tracking number and call UPS (since TMo is the shipper) and have the address changed.  Astounded that she'd actually pro-actively follow-up I asked her: you're really going to follow up on this?  "Absolutely," she said, "It's already on my calendar to do."  Saweet!  She then asked if I'd like a call-back once she's changed the address.  Um, yeah.

If this plays out like it's supposed to, this is some awesome customer service.  I mean really really awesome customer service.  This is why I stay with TMo, even though a friend of mine recently went to Sprint and they have some awesome benefits and perks over there you have to ask about.

So, anywho: yay!  It's not the free I was hoping for, but I don't have to change my current plan, just lengthen it another 2 years from now.  And it's still cheaper than the $199 w/contract that it was just a couple of days ago.  Of course, with Murphy's Law and all, it will be free tomorrow.

Update:  TMo rep called to let me know the status update.  Woo Hoo!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So, I asked Andrew Tamm, who filled my Stream with a hundred (sarcasm there) animated gifs and cat pictures to...

I'm shutting down Google+ for the night and quite possibly for the weekend.