4G versus 4G, the Hand Set Test

I went down to the TMo store today and held a myTouch4G alongside a G2. The myTouch4G feels more plasticky than the solid feeling G2 however all the Galaxy S phones as well as the Droid X and the newest Palm's feel plasticky to me as well, so I won't complain about that too much.

According to the sales guy there at the store, the innards (yes, I said "innards" and am not getting a misspelling notice which makes me wonder) are pretty much the same between the two devices. Both have 1ghz proessors, however the G2's is de-clocked (underclocked?) on purpose to allow for greater battery life. From what he said, there's also a secondary 3D graphics processor in the G2 which helps it maintain those lightning fast speeds. I'm not sure if that's true or not.

The mTouch4G does not have the Snapdragon (Scorpion) proc but it is at 1ghz instead of the 800mhz of the G2 and comes with a front-facing camera for video-chat. I'm not sure if that's a selling point right now with the processing output of the Scorpion.

Both were fast, much faster than my G1 and using the benchmark testing App from the Market, the myTouch4G ranked higher than just about any Android out there, but to be fair, it was not compared to the G2 in the results.

The only real drawbacks I can determine at this point are the UIs. The myTouch4G has the HTC layer while the G2 is bare bones Android. I like the idea of bare bones versus someone telling me what's good for me. That might go over well with mine or your mom who doesn't have a clue about "smart" PDA phones, but not so well with me. Is there an easy root for the myTouch4G yet? I read yesterday they finally hacked the G2 with a permanent root.

On a side note: I also got the play with a Galaxy Tablet. In short: it's what the iPad is to the iPhone: that is, it's the same thing only bigger. For the most part. There are some minor differences, but not many. Do you really need to go from 4" to 7"? Well, your girlfriend might say yes, but unless you're using it for work and for some reason don't have a laptop or netbook, then you probably don't need a Galaxy Tablet if you already have an Android phone. I'm just sayin'.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So, I asked Andrew Tamm, who filled my Stream with a hundred (sarcasm there) animated gifs and cat pictures to...

I'm shutting down Google+ for the night and quite possibly for the weekend.