The Game and It's Fans

So, I'm perusing Google+ this morning and I see this video posted by Scott Reibolt about an over-zealous fan of the Baltimore Ravens. It is Baltimore, isn't it? I'm going on memory here and that sounds right.


I'm also assuming this is from a recent game. I really don't know since I don't watch football, or any sport for that matter. Why, you might ask? Well, because it never made sense to me. I don't understand why people spend their entire days huddled around a TV hoping someone they don't know does something they can't do. I mean, if Player-A makes a touch-down, how does that affect the world? it doesn't -- it affects Player-A's bank account. How does it affect anything, really? It doesn't, except Player-A might get a new contract or get a better deal if he goes to a new team. But does it change anything important? Is there suddenly world peace? Are terrorists going to drop their plans? Is illegal immigration going to go away? Is the magical-economy fairy going to fix the economy if Team-A wins the bowl game?

No. None of those scenarios will likely come to pass.

Now, how does that affect you personally? Will your job get better? Maybe, if you suckle at the teat of the sports industry, but in all likelihood, it won't get better. Will your kids suddenly respect you? Nope, probably not. Maybe your car/house will magically get fixed.  Doubtful.

So, why do people watch other people do things that don't benefit them at all? Is it a chance to live vicariously through the actions of others while safely ensconced in a LazyBoy chair or on the couch? Is it a chance to live, or accomplish something? 

It's none of the above, actually.

My father was never much of a father and I remember when growing up, the only time he ever had for my brother and I was during football games when we were expected to watch the game and not really bother him. Did this directly affect my opinion of professional sports? I don't think so. I wasn't interested in them then and I grew up never really understanding why people chose to sit around all day watching a other people play a game.

I remember coming home one time and my dad invited me to watch a game over at his house. I went, if for nothing more than to spend a couple of house with my dad. I was bored silly. I think it was somewhere through the first quarter when I asked him why he watched football so ardently. He replied, "it's something to do."

Okay, great. But aren't there other things to do? You could go out on the boat, go to the beach, go fishing, mow the lawn, etc. His reply was simply that all those things could also get done around the game. So, in essence he had no answer -- if watching football is something to do, and yet there are other more constructive things to get done, then the first answer is without merit.

But he didn't have a better answer. I don't know if he even understood why I was asking. He did, in turn, ask me why I don't watch sports and I told him: I have better things to do with my time than watch someone else do something that doesn't directly affect me. But I do watch TV, don't I? 

Of course I do. But I'm usually doing something else at the same time. It might be something as benign as surfing the internet, or it might be something as productive as playing with my dog or cleaning the house, but usually, when I'm watching TV, it's the end of the day and everything that needed to get done got done. 

Nine time out of 10, though, the TV is back ground noise for me. I'd probably be just as happy with talk radio or a book on tape as I am with the TV. Am I going to lose it when Ross and Rachel don't get together? Not as all. Am I going to lose sleep when the guys from *Law and Order* don't get their guy? Nope. Am I going to freak out and call all my friends idiots because Leroy Jethro Gibbs got shot again? Probably not.

Anywho, the point of this post was (1) to rant a bit, and (2) to say this:

I posted a comment on the above video:
A perfect example of why I don't get sports fans. They get all upset over watching someone else do something while they sit on the couch, drink beer and get fatter.


How does a game change anything for you? Did it end war? Change a treaty? Stop police brutality? Influence foreign policy? Give you your job? Take your job?



If your life is so unfullfilling that you have to live vicariously through others' achievements, it's time to re-evaluate your life.
And the responses were indicative of how I view sports fans: 

From cfcb327

@Nooncaster you have no idea because youve never played a sport u fuckin idiot. go play some xbox you fuckin queer
From grantmac1515

@Nooncaster shut the fuck up, fagget
From keithr120 (who starts off reasonably enough)

@Nooncaster It's called entertainment. When you invest time in watching and caring about a team for years, you become emotionally invested in their success and also failures. Sorry we aren't busy changing the world 24/7 like you are, dick.
From gear0510 (who, while is the only one with a valid answer: it's entertainment)

@Nooncaster Get off your high horse. People enjoy watching the game and it makes them happy/sad. Who are you to judge what other's want to do for fun?
From KawiKab327

@Nooncaster and you really think preaching about this will end a war, change a treaty, stop police brutality, influence foreign policy, give you your job or take your job? 

what if this guy makes more money than you do, bangs a hotter wife than you do (assuming you are male, as there are no females on the internet) and still is dedicated to the baltimore ravens? 

i'm a sports fan and i love rooting for my team.
From peezy419

@Nooncaster shut up hippie lol

From TrainEatySleepy (the most reasonable of the bunch)
@Nooncaster Nope, it's irrational, but we become emotionally invested, and when a win is that close and a fuck up/bad call etc happens........there is disappointment.

It was so close, so I understand the guy's outrage. It doesn't mean we don't realize there are more important things
One has to wonder why there is so much hate? Did someone piss in their Wheaties, as the saying goes? Oh, nope, maybe their team lost and they don't have anyone else to be angry with. Is that just another reason to ignore sports? My blood pressure doesn't skyrocket until some idiot of a GOPer says something stupid or some moron of a Democrat tries to take away my rights. I've never felt I needed to set a car on fire, start a riot or just plain ol' start a bar fight because of game or a television show. Maybe I have better things to "get emotionally involved with."

Oh, and yes, I have played sports. Still would if it were for a few herniated discs I have. You know, from an accident I had while outside playing sports. I'm cool like that.

UPDATE
A few new comments came in while I was typing this out:

From Cito6t9
@Nooncaster o you probably never played sports my friend. You cheer hard when your on the team or not. when you grow up watching a teams every play, every move they find a place in your heart. just like your passionate about political issues it seems, some of us love sports it's important in to us no reason to hate buddy.
From Kirstengator
@Nooncaster lol seriously? get off your high horse
UPDATE 2
A few more comments came in in the past few hours:

From TheDustyChincilla
@Nooncaster clearly a nerd who got picked on in high school by the football team. people are passionate about their teams because they have pride for their city or favorite players, and when a player who is payed millions to ONLY kick field goals, and he misses, he is a fuckup and anyone would be mad at such a bad mistake. what are you passionate about? video games? role playing? dont bash other peoples passions because your life is sad
From JaayyB (ah yet, another reasonable person, sandwiched between two not reasonable persons)
@Nooncaster I think if it makes people happy, improves communication between our species and brings people together as a community, what's the problem?
From Analyseforu
@Nooncaster douche bag says what? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So, I asked Andrew Tamm, who filled my Stream with a hundred (sarcasm there) animated gifs and cat pictures to...

I'm shutting down Google+ for the night and quite possibly for the weekend.