Too Young to Marry? Yes, There Is Such a Thing

Why do Idaho Republicans want to keep the legal age if marriage younger than 16? Maybe they really are those batshit crazy conservatives who don't believe there should be any kind of government involvement, or maybe there are fantasies these men - and let's face it they're mostly, if not all, men - are clinging to with child brides.

Today was a sad day in the Idaho House. What I thought was a modest compromise to try to prevent coercion and potential abuse of children, by raising the floor on the marriage age to 16 – let me repeat, 16 – turned out to be too progressive for too many of my republican colleagues. Arguments against: parental rights and a disagreement with aligning marriage laws with the statutory rape laws. I’m at a loss.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/progressivesecularhumanist/2019/03/idaho-republicans-kill-bill-that-would-have-ended-child-marriage-in-the-state/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So, I asked Andrew Tamm, who filled my Stream with a hundred (sarcasm there) animated gifs and cat pictures to...

I'm shutting down Google+ for the night and quite possibly for the weekend.