Horses on Cherry Creek State Park Update

May 23, 2010  13:30ish

Okay, so I went out to Cherry Creek State Park today and looked at the horse.  The leg looks worse.  I overheard someone else talking about it and spoke with her for a time and she said she's been monitoring this horse from afar for about a week but the park rangers nor the Humane Society seem to want to help the horse out.

Why is everyone looking the other way for this stable owner?

When I came back around from my walk there was a small family looking at the horses and the mother was talking to the little girls about riding them.  The stable owner came over and very congenially explained that the horses sometimes get scratched from rubbing up against the fence line and that they're all okay.   I then asked him what about the one with the gaping hole in his leg to which he replied, again nicely, how the horse was under veterinarian care.  To which I asked when the last time a vet was out there to see the leg's condition.  That's when he turned and started screaming profanities at me and refused to answer the question.  I asked him: a week? a few days? a month?  Anything would have sufficed.  He, still yelling, started claiming I didn't know what I was talking about and that the horse is glad it's not dead.  Needless to say the family with the young girls quickly walked away towards their mini-van.

I explained to the stable owner how I was out there the other day and saw the horse's wound dripping blood and puss and he replied I don't know what I'm talking about.  I explained how his leg was swollen to which he replied I didn't know what I was talking about.  I explained the wound where you could see into the flesh and to the muscle and he replied I didn't know what I was talking about.

Ironically, I had left my cell phone with my friend in case the stable owner attacked me so she could dial 911 and during this exchange PETA called me for a follow-up but I couldn't answer at that time.

The stable owner then said he'd call the cops on me for trespassing.  I'm not sure how, as I was standing on a state park, but he called the rangers directly and gave them my description.  He then told me he could sue for slander and I asked how as all I was doing was asking questions.  Questions, as far as I know cannot be slanderous.  Knowingly making false claims is slanderous.  I told him if he wanted to set the record straight all he had to do was explain how the horse was receiving medical treatment.  He, still screaming profanities so loud my friend could hear it from a hundred yards away, threatened to sue me for slander and libel.  Now, I'm no lawyer, but I think you have to knowingly make false claims to be convicted of slander or libel.  I have yet to knowingly make a false claim.

On the way home I called the PETA rep back and gave her an update.  She asked me to follow up on the 911 call and ranger dispatch of which I did not receive a call back about last evening.  I called Arapahoe Country Sheriff's dispatch (303 795 4711) and asked to have a ranger call me back, explaining to the dispatcher that I have called them numerous times and no one seems to want to address my concerns.

A few minutes later Ranger Laura called me and I told her the story.  She asked if I was just there speaking with the stable owner to which I replied yes and said a ranger was on his was to talk to me, why did I leave?  I replied since the rangers didn't want to be bothered when I called about an injured horse why should I be bothered when the stable owner calls because I was annoying him?

I asked her for a follow-up to the 911 all yesterday and she informed me it would take time to sift through all the reports.  I was a confused.  How many 911 calls do the rangers get on Saturday afternoon/evening?  How many are there to sift through?  I told her the stable owner was belligerent to me and threatened me (with legal suit).  I also informed her that I had already contacted Animal Control and Colorado's Bureau of Animal Protection regarding the condition of the horse and that I would be willing to come by tomorrow and speak with someone at their offices regarding the situation.

As far as I am concerned, I'm being very cordial, but I think somehow I will end up being the bad guy here.  These state park officials seem to like protecting this stable owner more then they like doing the right thing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So, I asked Andrew Tamm, who filled my Stream with a hundred (sarcasm there) animated gifs and cat pictures to...

I'm shutting down Google+ for the night and quite possibly for the weekend.