A Letter to the Landlord

For those of you who are paying attention, I have exactly thirty days from today to move out of my current abode. This is the 30 day notice letter I just sent to my landlord to let him know I was not going to renew my lease.

My Room Has the Window

​Hi Sack, 

I certainly hope this email finds you suffering through Covid-19.  
This is a courtesy to inform you that I will not be renewing the lease on this slum of a condo. I had decided last year when you took your sweet time repairing the place and making sure it's liveable after the two separate bouts of water damage from the upstairs.

It was compounded by the toilet never having been fixed upon my move in and I know I brought it up before I took possession. You claimed to have fixed it, but you failed at even that. Apparently being cheap is paramount to being a good landlord.​

The VA took issue with the fact that the windows in two of three bedrooms do not open creating a hazard should immediate escape be necessary. In over 12 months you have failed to fix those as well. They didn't want to get involved with such a dilapidated property but I convinced them otherwise.

As you well know, I was wrong to do so. 

Although I had informed Brian back in December I would never consider renewing the lease here, it wasn't until your reaction with the May rent being $250 shy that I determined I would rather live anywhere else than see you receive another penny from me or on my behalf. Apparently, a global pandemic and quarantine doesn't mean much to you. And when you threatened to have me forcibly removed without going through the proper process. Calling me "fat" and "lazy" and then pretending at your own superiority. That was the last straw.

Also, you were on speakerphone so multiple other people heard what you said and everyone was in agreement that I should leave as soon as possible. 

And, of course, there's your violation of the lease by showing up to the house on multiple occasions without the requisite 24 hours notice. Once at the door to hand deliver a letter and the other at the garage. 

So, I will be leaving at the end of my lease, 14AUG2020, and not a day earlier.

If you want to have a fit over $250 dollars and threaten a federally protected tenant (remember taking the VA's money?) then perhaps you will enjoy the property being empty or waiting on Brian to find someone else to move in. You know, the guy who couldn't afford the place on his own. 

Perhaps you'll have better luck finding a tenant who isn't a federally protected disabled veteran (remember calling me "fat" and "lazy"?) and who has a support structure behind him in case of economic downturn or loss of employment.

Perhaps Brian will stay and his small business will stay in business. You know those gratuitous construction projects always stay strong during economic downturns. Or, maybe Brian won't break a leg or need a surgery that takes him out of the workforce..

Regardless of the future of your condo and whether or not you'll be able to keep a tenant, I will be out of here. You can go on being a miserable bastard and I will be happily free of you. 

Any future correspondence with me can, as always, happen over email.

To break things down:

Dear Sack (of shit), 

I hope you have Covid-19 and are miserable.

Failure to fix things. 

Brian is my roommate who has lived here for a couple of years. He cannot afford to live here on his own. Calling me "fat" and "lazy" because I lost my job during a pandemic. 

Lease violations. 

Perhaps he'll rather have an empty home for a few months while he waits for new tenants.

He's a miserable bastard.


Yes, this was a little unprofessional but I'm tired of people being assholes and not being called out on it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So, I asked Andrew Tamm, who filled my Stream with a hundred (sarcasm there) animated gifs and cat pictures to...

I'm shutting down Google+ for the night and quite possibly for the weekend.