Thoughts on passwords?

Thoughts on passwords?
http://xkcd.com/936/

Comments

Gwenny Todd said…
I use a sort of template . . for instance, about 15 years ago (I change it every couple of years) my password was **1066nesv.  The asterisks were initials of the site.  1066, of course, was the Norman Conquest.  nesv is "not enough saxon violence".  I worked my way through the crowning of Charlemagne, American independence, the Magna Carta . . I can't even remember them all now.  LOL   And I used the years for pins and my kids had to know what happened that I thought was important that year.  Viola, safety AND history . . one fell swoop.
Mike Bates said…
I use a two word combination with multiple numbers and at least one special character. They are strong passwords and work.  I never try to associate the password with a site or machine in anyway since that could lead to a compromise.  

Also, another method is to use a book of poetry or song lyrics and pick words on specific pages and build unrelated word combinations with mixed-case, number substitution and special characters.  

Another, tool I use is KeePass since it works on Linux, Mac, Windows and several different smart phones, the file is encrypted and requires either or both a pass phrase and key file to access.
Steve Ruge said…
I'm lazy and just use 1password and random scrambled characters and numbers and let it remember it all.
Andrew Maxwell said…
I'm like Steve Rubel but with LastPass
Jason ON said…
I use a password that's alpha-numerical and approximately 8 characters in length. It's not uncrackable, but it's served me on countless websites and accounts just fine. 

My roommate is a IT Sys Admin and so has the house wifi locked down with 11 alpha-numeric characters, various capitals and something neither of us can ever remember without checking where it's written down.

When I worked in a secure facility we used a telephone keypad to write out a word or two. 

What really annoys me is the websites, software services, that require a password recovery question as though anyone who wanted to break into our online information couldn't do some research and learn out mother's maiden name, our pet's name or the first street we lived on as a child.
Steve Ruge said…
Yes I think I am going to go and start making random nonsense answers to those "security questions" that let you set your own answers.

Popular posts from this blog

So, I asked Andrew Tamm, who filled my Stream with a hundred (sarcasm there) animated gifs and cat pictures to...

I'm shutting down Google+ for the night and quite possibly for the weekend.