Argh!

One - instead of trying something new, realizing it isn't the old, and swearing it of forever, give it a chance. For example, a friend of mine, a self proclaimed Photoshop wiz, recently tried GIMP on her new Apple computer. She grew frustrated because the menus weren't exactly what she was used to with Photoshop and she began criticize GIMP for not being what she was used to working with. First, it's not the program's fault you don't know how to work it. Second, if you don't want to pay for Photoshop, then learn to work it. She blamed the program for being slow, but it really wasn't designed to work on Mac, even though Mac OS might be written in Linux (which GIMP was designed for). Also, she was running 8 different programs in the background which could have been slowing GIMP down a bit (another complaint of hers). I told her to check with GIMP help for information, but she decided she'd rather scream and yell at GIMP (and by this point, me) instead. Seriously, if you don't like being outside of your comfort zone, then accept it; don't just go blaming everyone/thing because what you're doing isn't what you were used to in the past.

Two - We all misspeak. Sometimes we say 1 o'clock when we mean two. Sometimes, we say apple when we mean orange (and are thinking generically: fruit). I, for example, will think 15:00 hours, and say aloud 5 o'clock sometimes because I'm seeing the "5" in my head. Accept it. Same friend as above said something along the lines of (and I paraphrase): "Since you told me about this I've used it a hundred times." Later in the conversation, she mentions she's used GIMP 20 times for different things and each time was frustrating. I knew what she meant (between 100 and 20), however to lighten the mood, I asked was it 100 or 20? She curtly replied she never said 100, but always said twenty. I disagreed, pointing out to her she might have meant 20 when she said 100, but she did say 100 previously. And then it got worse from there -- under no circumstances did she say 100, she never misspeaks although she knows people do. She said, 20, 20, 20!

I began thinking of a past conversation I had with her mother once about my friend's stubborness growing up, and I cross-referenced that in my head with other observations and I had to come to the conclusion her mind works like this: I am right. Always. If you think I am wrong, I will scream and yell or change the subject until either the subject is dropped, or you finally give in and I'm right.

I guess growing up she got her way many times using this technique (per her mother) and she seems to think it'll work as an adult, too. Makes me wonder about all the times she complained about how she was right and the people in her office were wrong. Having never worked with her, and knowing her personality, I wonder how many times she pulled the "girl" card and threw a tantrum until people just got tired of the argument and left it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So, I asked Andrew Tamm, who filled my Stream with a hundred (sarcasm there) animated gifs and cat pictures to...

I'm shutting down Google+ for the night and quite possibly for the weekend.