My Dad Died This Evening

At about 6:05 MST I received a SMS group message from my mom saying, "I'm very sorry. live you all". 


I had to guess my dad was dead. And I was right. Apparently he's died about 15 minutes prior. I knew he'd been in hospice since last Friday (today being Friday, a week later) but didn't know he'd been asleep that whole time. My younger brother told me that.

Sleep, of course, being a relative term as he was in a drug induced state of not being awake. 

So, no I am fatherless. 

Not really a big deal. While not estranged, we weren't close. In fact, in the last twenty years I can recall him calling proactively only once and that was for my past birthday. 

This past November, when I was in Florida for my sister's funeral, he barely spoke to me and when I tried to spend some time with him he shook my hand, said "It was nice seeing you" and walked away. Of the 10 days I was there that was our longest conversation. 


Death Notice
Death Notice



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm shutting down Google+ for the night and quite possibly for the weekend.