Helping Hands

It's been a while since I've blogged. Not for want of writing, but because I've just been spending my writing time elsewhere. Usually GDocs, but occasionally back over at Google+ which Google finally fulfilled the prophecy and turned it into a ghost town.

The reason for writing today is to comment on something I've had happen twice now:

A month ago I was driving along and noticed someone on the side of the road who needed help. I stopped and offered my assistance only to be told the woman had been stuck for 45 minutes with no one stopping to help.

Earlier today I was existing the highway and saw a guy sitting in his car on the side of the road. I looked at him as I passed and he looked at me. So, I swerved and pulled over on the side of the road. He met me about half way and explained how his tire and spare were both flat and his cell phone was out of minutes. He'd been waiting for at least an hour. He said two hours, but I later learned he was following someone when his tire went flat and I have a hard time believing no one noticed him not arriving for two hours,

He just needed to call his family,

Later I noticed a younger couple in a parking lot with their hood up. I pulled up and asked if they were okay. They were just trying to get their wipers working before the oncoming rain started.

When did we start ignoring people in need? When did we stop offering help to others? Out in the middle of nowhere, sure, someone might have to sit around and wait for a passerby to help, but off an 8 lane highway in a city of millions?

I don't always notice those in need when I'm driving, especially in time to pull over safely and for each person I don't get an opportunity to help. I always assume those I can't stop for are being helped by someone else, but after these two experiences, I have to wonder if that's true.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So, I asked Andrew Tamm, who filled my Stream with a hundred (sarcasm there) animated gifs and cat pictures to...

I'm shutting down Google+ for the night and quite possibly for the weekend.