I Hate Google Maps

This is feedback I just sent to Google Maps using the "feedback" option. As you can tell, I was (am) a little annoyed that I had to stop and address something so basic it should have been included in the product of a multi-billion dollar company that has hundreds of millions of users every single day. 

Google Maps is absolutely atrocious for making custom maps. It was so much easier when the MyTracks app was around, but like all good things, Google canned it years ago (and none of the other Play store offerings are nearly as good). 

But, since I'm trying to demonstrate to someone the walking trail I found in when I was visiting Florida, I opened Maps (then had to search why I can't create a custom map only to discover I had to open MyMaps.google.com [which is dumb]).

Then, I'm creating a simple walking map: start point? Check. Draw a line for the loop? Nope, not an option. Why? Because Google Maps is atrocious for just about anything that is actually useful (which is one of the reasons I stopped using it for anything other than finding somewhere to eat). 

Please explain to me why - in simple terms - none of us can draw a line from Point A to Point B without following an existing route on the map.

For example: I was WALKING! I took a trail at least 4 times a week that does not exist on Maps and when I tried to draw that trail in with a simple line, MyMaps won't let me BECAUSE AN EXISTING LINE ISN"T ALREADY THERE! While I'm walking!

Are you kidding or does Google only believe people walk on existing roads and never ever, under any circumstances, go off road? 

Don't even get me started on tracking motorcycle routes. Luckily, my action cameras will do that so I don't have to rely on Google Maps. 

Oh, and this applies to all your "Feedback" options on all Google's services: it sucks. It wants me to take a screenshot on the home screen where my problem isn't. There's no option to upload a screenshot or - and hear me out, here - SUBMIT FEEDBACK FROM THE PLACE WHERE THE PROBLEM ACTUALL EXISTS!

There is absolutely no point in sending a screenshot of a screen where no error, or problem, occurred.

So, to recap:

Google Maps sucks.

Google UX sucks.

Google Feedback sucks.

There's a reason I decline to use my Chromebook and as many Google services as I can get away without using and that's because Google's unwillingness to actually understand the needs of people, not just corporations. (and then there's the bait-and-switch mentality that's gripped Google's C-Suite in the past few years, re-negging on promises, etc)

Below is the screenshot I wanted to upload, but couldn't because the screenshot function in "Feedback" doesn't take screenshots where you need it to.  The line of "points" on the right-hand side is where the trail actually exists in real life (approximately) but not on Google Maps and I couldn't connect those points together, either. 




 (And this isn't even my only problem with Google Maps, or the one I run into the most often. The others are generally on the go with my Android)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm shutting down Google+ for the night and quite possibly for the weekend.