Why does nearly every news story I see about something happening in Florida, especially Florida politics, embarrass...

Why does nearly every news story I see about something happening in Florida, especially Florida politics, embarrass me?

This paragraph from the story summarizes it perfectly:

In recent years, however, Florida health administrators have relied upon nursing homes to house hundreds of children who could safely live at home with their parents -- often at less expense to the state, advocates claim. In his letter, Mr. Perez said the state has cut millions from programs that support the parents of disabled youngsters, refused $40 million in federal dollars that would have enabled some children to stay or return home, encouraged nursing homes to house children by increasing their per diem rate -- and even repealed state rules that limited the number of kids who could be housed in nursing homes with adults.

Privatizing social services is not the way to go. Private entities are not interested in the mission, they're interested in the bottom dollar and profit margins. We've seen the deplorable state of state prison systems and now we can see another aspect of "privatization."

#ithappenedinflorida  
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/news/us/federal-officials-slam-florida-for-warehousing-disabled-kids-652502/

Comments

Jason ON said…
I'm from Florida, which is why it's embarrassing. It's also a reason I don't move back.
Jeff Solomon said…
agree, but I still want to live here.

Been here for over 40 years :-)
Jason ON said…
I'm from a little north of you.
Jason ON said…
Yeah you are. Like "my girlfriend says _baaaaa baaaaa_" country.

Popular posts from this blog

I don't make a lot of personal posts so please bear with me.

I'm shutting down Google+ for the night and quite possibly for the weekend.