Over the years I knew many people who were not religious but were sent by their parents to religious schools,...

Over the years I knew many people who were not religious but were sent by their parents to religious schools, supposedly for the superior education. This didn't just apply to nonreligious people, though. Many times a person of one faith was sent to a school run by another, again, for that "superior" education. 

However, this boy, AB doesn't fall into either of those categories. He is a public student of a public school, run by the state, and was made to feel as though he'd done something wrong for merely expressing his beliefs. 

We're talking about two kids on the playground here. Neither kid was proselytizing, they were just having a conversation. And one student became so upset that she started crying for nothing less than her classmate not believing in her god.

So a teacher took it upon herself to shun the little nonbeliever.

Would the teacher's behavior have been okay had he been Jewish and not believed in Jesus H. Christ? Or Muslim and not believed in the divinity of said Christ? What if he was Hindu or Native American, Buddhist or a hundred other religions that don't believe in the Abrahamic deity?  
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2015/08/03/lawsuit-alleges-7-year-old-quizzed-on-religion-ordered-to-sit-alone-at-lunch-for-telling-classmates-he-didnt-believe-in-god/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I don't make a lot of personal posts so please bear with me.

I'm shutting down Google+ for the night and quite possibly for the weekend.